Girlfriends Galore in Scottsdale, AZ is holding our annual White Elephant Gift Exchange Party on Friday 12/9/11 (so watch for pictures)…and, we thought this would be a great post to share with all our friends & fans!
Wikipedia defines White Elephant Gifts as typically inexpensive, humorous items or used items from home. The term white elephant refers to a gift whose maintenance costs exceed its usefulness. And yet, who hasn’t heard that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure? So, hunt through your house and find that gift you have NEVER even opened, and used – wrap it up and stick a bow on it!
Now, with the rules of the game comes the fun part…
- 1 – Everyone draws a # starting with 1 – … from a hat
- 2 – The person with #1 picks a wrapped gift and opens it and shows everyone what she got
- 3 – Now, here’s the twist – the person with #2 and consecutive #’s have the option of picking an unwrapped gift and opening it OR *taking another person’s gift they’ve already opened!
- 4 – There is often an agreed upon amount of times a gift can be “stolen” – generally the prescribed number is 3 times. This keeps the process moving along and avoids 1 gift being stolen over and over again.
So – now that you know the rules – get in those cupboards and sheds and storage rooms and find that PERFECT White Elephant Gift with confidence and go have FUN!
*That is where the fun comes in and where we learn what is trash and what is treasure!
(A variation is that all the gifts remain wrapped and the stealing/exchange must happen before any gifts are opened. – Tricky, huh? Just remember that the gift you hold in your hands isn’t yours until the game is over…)
- 25 Truly Wacky White Elephant Gifts (bellasugar.com)
- One man’s junk, so they say. (reptilesintheicecream.blogspot.com)